Tim Cook has finally announced Apple’s rumoured AR/VR/XR headset with the iconic phrase: ‘One More Thing’… and it’s been described as ‘the most advanced device ever’
Introducing the Apple Vision Pro
The world of Augmented Reality (AR) is evolving at a rapid pace, and this announcement has set a new benchmark in the AR landscape. Let’s delve into the transformative potential of this revolutionary ‘spatial computer’ as Apple puts it, and how it can redefine the AR landscape as a whole.
The Most Advanced Headset has a Focus on AR
Apple has been long rumoured to release a ‘mixed reality’ or ‘VR’ headset, but the keen eye will notice that this headset was introduced as a revolutionary ‘AR’ headset.
This focus on augmented reality highlights a significant fact about the XR industry as a whole, the ‘endgame’ of mixed reality has always been to create an AR AND VR capable device, that allows you to switch between the two, as the practical, real-life applications of augmented reality, far outweigh those that virtual reality can bring alone, and it seems that apple has pushed this singularity so much closer, showing that the real game-changer is, and always will be powerful AR technology.
With the Vision Pro, you can dial in the amount of ‘reality’ that surrounds you with the digital crown.
It’s a standalone computer with an M2 Chip, its own Wi-Fi connection, a roughly 4K micro OLED display for each eye, speakers, and a new R1 chip for real-time processing. It starts at $3,499 and will go on sale sometime early next year.
Apple Vision Pro appears to be a true marvel of engineering, packing an astonishing amount of technology into a compact design. Here are some of its key technical specifications announced at WWDC on June 5th, 2023:
- Ultra-High-Resolution Display System: Vision Pro uses micro-OLED technology to pack 23 million pixels into two displays, each the size of a postage stamp. This, combined with custom catadioptric lenses, delivers incredible sharpness and clarity.
- Spatial Audio System: An advanced Spatial Audio system creates the feeling that sounds are coming from the environment around the user. Two individually amplified drivers inside each audio pod deliver Personalised Spatial Audio based on the user’s own head and ear geometry.
- Eye Tracking System: The high-performance eye tracking system in Vision Pro uses high-speed cameras and a ring of LEDs that project invisible light patterns onto the user’s eyes for responsive, intuitive input.
- Apple Silicon in a Dual-Chip Design: Vision Pro is powered by Apple silicon in a unique dual-chip design. The M2 chip delivers unparalleled standalone performance, while the brand-new R1 chip processes input from 12 cameras, five sensors, and six microphones to ensure that content feels like it is appearing right in front of the user’s eyes, in real time.
- Battery Life: Apple Vision Pro is designed for all-day use when plugged in, and up to two hours of use with its external, high-performance battery.
- Design: A singular piece of three-dimensionally formed and laminated glass is polished to create an optical surface that acts as a lens for the wide array of cameras and sensors needed to blend the physical world with digital content. The glass flows into the custom aluminium alloy frame that gently curves around the user’s face, while the modular system allows for a tailored fit to accommodate a wide range of people.
The Vision Pro is able to take 3D photos and videos, and even features an external, 3D screen on the front of the device, allowing those around you to see your eyes as if peering through the headset itself when appropriate, and shifting to a clouded animation to indicate that you are focussed on a task or activity in the headset.
A New Operating System – visionOS
The Vision Pro is powered by VisionOS, the world’s first spatial operating system, Apple Vision Pro introduces a fully three-dimensional user interface controlled by the most natural and intuitive inputs possible — a user’s eyes, hands, and voice. It’s a groundbreaking platform that brings familiar frameworks and tools to an all-new spatial computing environment. It offers an infinite spatial canvas for AR creators to explore, experiment, and play, giving them the freedom to completely rethink their experiences in 3D.
With the SDK for visionOS coming later this month, developers will soon be able to begin developing applications for Vision Pro. The capabilities of Apple Vision Pro will transform the way AR content is created and consumed. The infinite canvas for apps and the three-dimensional interface open up a world of possibilities for AR creators. The new input system, controlled by a user’s eyes, hands, and voice, allows for a more intuitive and engaging interaction with digital content.
As AR creators, we can now design experiences that are not just on a screen, but integrated with the user’s environment. This level of immersion was previously unattainable and opens up a new frontier for AR content creation.
At CrossCreators, we connect brands with AR creators to create immersive AR content for marketing. With the advent of Apple Vision Pro, we are excited about the new opportunities this presents for our creators and the brands we work with.
Creators on CrossCreators can leverage visionOS to build and design an entirely new universe of apps and games for Apple Vision Pro. The SDK for visionOS is coming soon, and it will provide all the tools needed to create immersive AR experiences.
Creating with Existing Technologies
visionOS extends Apple frameworks like SwiftUI, RealityKit, and ARKit for spatial computing. This means creators can use the tools they’re already familiar with to build apps for Apple Vision Pro.
- SwiftUI: It’s the best way to build a new visionOS app or bring an existing iOS or iPadOS app to the platform. With all-new 3D capabilities and support for depth, gestures, effects, and immersive scene types, SwiftUI can help creators build beautiful and compelling apps for Vision Pro.
- RealityKit: This 3D rendering engine allows creators to present 3D content, animations, and visual effects in their apps. It can automatically adjust to physical lighting conditions and cast shadows, open portals to a different world, build stunning visual effects, and much more.
- ARKit: On Vision Pro, ARKit can fully understand a person’s surroundings, giving apps new ways to interact with the space around them. It powers core system capabilities that apps automatically benefit from, and when an app moves to a Full Space, it can take advantage of powerful ARKit APIs like Plane Estimation, Scene Reconstruction, Image Anchoring, World Tracking, and Skeletal Hand Tracking.
Benefits for Brands
Brands that partner with CrossCreators can benefit from the capabilities of visionOS in several ways. By creating AR experiences compatible with Apple Vision Pro, brands can engage their customers on a whole new level. These experiences are not limited to Vision Pro; they can also be enjoyed on traditional devices like the iPhone, making them accessible to a wider audience.
As AR becomes more mainstream, brands that embrace this technology early will have a competitive advantage. They will be able to create unique experiences that captivate their customers and enhance brand visibility and loyalty.
At CrossCreators, we are ready to help brands leverage the capabilities of visionOS and Apple Vision Pro to create immersive AR content. Join us as we embark on this exciting journey into the future of AR marketing.
We believe that the capabilities of Apple Vision Pro will enable our creators to design more engaging and immersive experiences. For brands, this means more impactful marketing content that can captivate and engage their target audience in unprecedented ways.
How Much Does Apple Vision Pro Cost?
Apple Vision Pro is a premium product, and its price at $3,499 reflects the cutting-edge technology and innovation it brings to the table.
While the price will undoubtedly be a barrier for some, it’s important to remember that this is a first-generation product. Just like the first iPhone, which was also a premium product, Apple Vision Pro is paving the way for the future of AR. As technology advances and becomes more accessible, we can expect future iterations to become more affordable and reach a wider audience.
It’s could also be speculated that the ‘Pro’ in Apple Vision Pro also suggests that Apple may introduce more price-competitive options in the future. These versions might come with fewer features but will still offer the core AR experience, making them more accessible to a broader market. This strategy would be similar to how Apple has differentiated its iPad and iPhone lines, offering both premium ‘Pro’ models and more affordable alternatives.
The launch of Apple Vision Pro is a significant milestone for the AR industry. It shows an incredibly bright future for consumer AR and will undoubtedly have a massive impact on the industry as a whole. It may very well mark the start of a new era, just like the iPhone did for mobile computing.
The Future is Here – And it Runs on Augmented Reality
The value of AR in marketing is increasing, and with the introduction of Apple Vision Pro, it’s set to skyrocket. Brands that embrace this technology can create unique experiences that engage customers on a whole new level.
Imagine a customer not just seeing your product on a screen, but interacting with it in their own environment. This level of engagement can significantly enhance brand visibility and customer loyalty. As such, it’s an opportunity that brands cannot afford to miss.
The release of Apple Vision Pro marks a new era in AR. Its revolutionary features and capabilities present exciting opportunities for AR content creation and consumption. At CrossCreators, we are ready to leverage these capabilities to help brands create immersive AR content that resonates with their target audience.
At CrossCreators, we are excited about the opportunities this presents for our creators and the brands we work with. We are ready to leverage the capabilities of Apple Vision Pro and visionOS to help brands create immersive AR content that resonates with their target audience.
Join us at CrossCreators as we embark on this exciting journey into the future of AR marketing.