Meet Selin Bulum, an AR creator with a passion for innovation, fun, and imagination. Her journey into the world of augmented reality started as a hobby, but it quickly evolved into a family affair as even her grandparents joined in on the excitement of her AR filters. Selin’s creative journey took a major leap when her Christmas mask filter gained immense popularity, reaching millions of users. For Selin, AR means a chance to create new universes, merging eye-catching features with creativity and connecting with customers on a personal level. With a limitless approach to ideas and an unwavering determination to make a difference, Selin’s AR projects have already left a global impact, such as her thought-provoking Global Warming game AR filter. As a professional who collaborates with brands and remains at the forefront of AR trends and technology, Selin has a wealth of experience and knowledge to share with aspiring AR creators eager to step into this exciting realm.
– Let’s start from the beginning! How did you start your AR journey? What inspired you to become a creator and keeps you motivated to continue creating for this industry?
– My AR adventure started as a hobby. It later became family fun! I found that even my Grandparents can have fun with my AR filters. Frankly, I can say that we met the child in them thanks to AR. 🙂 Later, I discovered by accident that Meta Spark has a contest and I prepared a Christmas masks filter. My Christmas mask filter has attracted a lot of attention in a short time, reaching millions!!
– What is AR for you?
– AR means innovation, fun, and imagination to me.
– How do you see the future of AR evolving? What kind of opportunities do you think it will bring to creators and brands?
– AR gives creators and brands the chance to create a new universe. In this universe, there is a chance to mix eye-catching features with creativity and communicate with customers in 1-1! This is an opportunity not to be missed, especially for brands!
– Who or what inspires you in your work, and can you describe your working process? Do you follow a plan or work spontaneously? Do you have a specific style that sets you apart from other creators?
– Sometimes I can be inspired by a sentence in the book I’m reading, or sometimes by content that pops up on Instagram. Of course, the agenda can also be effective; special days etc. AR is not a subject like I am working between these and these hours, It is a vast world.. It is necessary to do a lot of research. You learn something new every minute. The most important part before starting a project is brainstorming. The sky is the limit! It is possible to think differently and create as creative works as possible. If the idea is good enough and creative, whenever I am in a high mood, then I go to the computer. Sometimes 12 am, sometimes 4 am… 🙂
– Can you share an example of a project where you pushed the boundaries of what is possible with AR technology and what kind of impact it has?
– I made a Global Warming game AR filter. We have a ball in the shape of a globe in the game, whichever step it jumps to, its color changes to blue, yellow, or red according to the behavior on that step. I prepared this filter to draw attention to global warming and raise awareness by gamifying it. I was very surprised and happy when I learned that an environmental professor in America showed this as an example in his lecture. Together we can create a global impact.
– Can you list the brands you have worked with? (list links of experiences if possible) What are the project(s) you’re most proud of?
– Work: Provides digital strategy consultancy services to Merlin Entertainments Turkey’s brands; such as Madame Tussauds, Legoland Discovery Centre, SEALIFE Aquarium. AR Adventure: At the end of 2021, she stepped into the world of Spark AR for fun! With its first filter, it reached millions of people from all over the world. She was very excited when she saw the statistics and focused on it to learn more.– Collaboration is a crucial aspect of creating successful AR projects. Can you share an example of a project where you had to balance a client’s needs with your creative vision? How did you navigate that challenge?
– AR is still very new for brands in Turkey 🙂
– How do you stay up-to-date with the latest trends and technology in the AR industry, and how do you incorporate this knowledge into your work?
– I won 2 competitions made by Meta Spark and was invited to Meta Spark Creator Camp. In this way, I met many AR Creators from around the world. This was a big chance for me! They’re all my friends on Instagram right now. At the same time, I follow the Augmented Reality tag on social media such as Linkedin and Instagram.
– Can you share any tips or tricks you’ve learned along the way that have helped you to create successful AR projects?
– Not giving up, being open to lots of mistakes, learning, learning, learning, and trying many times…
– What do you enjoy most about being an AR creator, and how do you balance the technical aspects of AR creation with the creative side? What advice would you give to aspiring AR creators who are just starting out?
– I’m a computer engineer, so I can’t say that I had much difficulty with the technical part. But I think the creativity part is more important than the technique. Let them keep their imaginations wide, be open to learning, embrace their mistakes, and move on.