Welcome to our next interview with Marcela Nascimento da Silva. Her amazing journey into the world of Augmented Reality began as a lockdown pastime, which ultimately evolved into entirely novel means of conveying her emotions and self-expression. From portals to viral “the Simpsons Room” join and explore Marcela’s work with us!
– Let’s start from the beginning! How did you start your AR journey? What inspired you to become a creator and what keeps you motivated to continue creating for this industry?
– My journey in Augmented Reality began in 2020, during the pandemic lockdown. Initially, I started creating filters as a hobby and a way to express myself artistically, but soon realized its potential and began to pursue it professionally.
– What is AR for you?
– For me, Augmented Reality (AR) is a magical window that allows me to create and share incredible experiences. It’s the ability to overlay the virtual world onto the real world, enriching our perception and interaction with the environment around us. AR is like a bridge between the physical and the digital, where we can bring ideas to life, tell stories, and connect people in innovative ways. It’s a powerful tool that transforms the way we live, learn, and have fun, and it’s fascinating to be part of this ever-evolving universe.
– How do you see the future of AR evolving? What kind of opportunities do you think it will bring to creators and brands?
– I see a bright future for Augmented Reality (AR), filled with exciting opportunities. As technology advances, AR will become a fundamental part of our daily lives, in areas such as shopping, education, and entertainment.
For us, creators, this means a wide scope for innovation. We can explore new ways to tell stories and create unique experiences.
For brands, AR offers the chance to stand out and create engaging marketing campaigns. It can boost customer loyalty as it enables deeper interaction.
In summary, the future of AR is exciting and full of opportunities. I look forward to seeing how this technology will transform our world and create more immersive experiences.
– Who or what inspires you in your work, and can you describe your working process? Do you follow a plan or work spontaneously? Do you have a specific style that sets you apart from other creators?
– My inspiration comes from a wide variety of sources, ranging from captivating photos to artistic makeup and even television series. The world around me, people, and their stories are also constant sources of inspiration for me. I believe that creativity knows no boundaries, and as such, I always keep my eyes and mind open to capture ideas from wherever they may come. As for my working process, I am somewhat eclectic. Sometimes, I follow a well-structured plan, especially when creating filters for brands or specific projects. Planning ahead is crucial to meet client expectations and ensure the final result is flawless.
However, I also enjoy working spontaneously. Many of my most innovative creations come when I let my imagination flow without restrictions. Sometimes, it’s important to step away from structure and allow intuition to guide the process.
My style is as varied as my sources of inspiration. I don’t confine myself to a single style, as I believe versatility is one of the keys to standing out in the world of AR. Adapting my work to meet the specific needs of each project is an essential part of my creative process. It allows me to create unique experiences that resonate with the target audience. In short, my inspiration is diverse, my process is flexible, and my style is adaptable. This multifaceted approach helps me continue to evolve as an AR creator and deliver stunning results in each project.
– Can you share an example of a project where you pushed the boundaries of what is possible with AR technology and what kind of impact did it have?
– A notable example is the project “THE SIMPSONS ROOM”, where I wanted to push the limits of AR technology to create an unforgettable experience. Inspired by the beloved series “The Simpsons”, this filter transports users directly to the iconic yellow family room. The impact was surprising as not only did fans love the experience, but it was also shared by the official Meta team within the community. This demonstrated how AR can be used in creative and engaging ways, going beyond expectations and delivering a positive, lasting impact.
– Collaboration is a crucial aspect of creating successful AR projects. Can you share an example of a project where you had to balance a client’s needs with your creative vision? How did you navigate that challenge?
– I remember a project where I collaborated with other creators to meet the needs of a client who wanted an amazing portal filter. However, there was a significant challenge: most of the brand’s target audience used mobile devices with operating systems that didn’t provide ideal support for plane tracking, which is essential for creating stable AR portals.
To tackle this challenge, we had to balance the client’s creative vision with technical reality. We began by understanding the limitations of the most common mobile devices and the operating systems they used. In this process, we identified that the best option would be a 360° filter. We placed a plane that simulated a door, and when clicked, it opened up a 360° environment. This way, we not only met the expectations of the client but also created a satisfying AR experience for users.
– How do you stay up-to-date with the latest trends and technology in the AR industry, and how do you incorporate this knowledge into your work?
I stay updated in the AR industry through courses, engaging with the creator community, participating in events and conferences, reading specialized blogs, experimenting with personal projects, involvement in social networks and forums, and seeking mentorship when needed. I also adapt principles from traditional arts to AR. Continuous learning and practical application are crucial to keeping my work up-to-date with the latest trends and AR technologies.
– Can you share any tips or tricks you’ve learned along the way that have helped you to create successful AR projects?
– Always strive to stay tuned in to the latest trends and innovations, not only within the realm of Augmented Reality but also across other fields. Never settle for the knowledge you already possess; continuously seek to advance technically.
– What do you enjoy most about being an AR creator, and how do you balance the technical aspects of AR creation with the creative side? What advice would you give to aspiring AR creators who are just starting out?
– What truly delights me about being an AR creator is the boundless creative freedom this field offers. I can turn my most imaginative ideas into tangible experiences and share them with the world. Striking a balance between the technical and creative aspects of AR creation is crucial. I view technology as a tool to bring my visions to life, and this fusion of technology and creativity is what makes each project unique and thrilling.
For those embarking on this journey, my advice is simple: keep learning continuously and experiment widely. Stay updated with the latest AR trends, take courses, engage with creator communities, and most importantly, don’t be afraid to make mistakes. Experimentation is the key to learning. And remember, the true magic of AR lies in how it can inspire, connect, and create incredible experiences. So, never stop dreaming big and sharing your creations with the world.