Embark on a journey through AR with the visionary creator, Haruki Amaré. Discover the genesis of their AR passion during the pandemic and how it evolved into an avenue for global connection. Uncover Haruki’s perspective on AR as a bridge between the digital and physical realms, infusing everyday life with excitement and meaning. As we peer into the future, Haruki’s excitement about AR’s potential is contagious, offering insights into personalized experiences and its transformative impact on education and industries. The interview explores their creative process, the delicate balance of client vision and creative freedom, and the driving force of community collaboration.
Guiding us with practical advice, Haruki emphasizes user-centered design, storytelling, and constant learning. From crafting local business experiences to pushing the boundaries of AR’s capabilities, Haruki Amaré’s journey is a testament to the boundless possibilities of Augmented Reality.
– Let’s start from the beginning! How did you start your AR journey? What inspired you to become a creator and what keeps you motivated to continue creating for this industry?
– I discovered AR midway through the pandemic, I was mesmerized by all the possibilities. I began creating with AR initially as a means to stay connected with friends, and later, to explore its full potential. What fascinates me most about AR is its ability to enable creators like myself to connect with users in ways that traditional intangible media cannot. It adds a new layer of interaction, making people part of our creations in real time all over the world.
– What is AR for you?
– To me, Augmented Reality is like a magical bridge between the digital and physical worlds. It’s a canvas where creativity knows no bounds, where I can take my imagination and transform it into interactive and immersive experiences. AR is about breathing life into everyday reality, adding layers of excitement, information, and engagement that were previously unimaginable. I can design AR filters that turn a simple selfie into a fantastical adventure, or create interactive educational tools that transport learners to new dimensions of understanding. The ability to craft these meaningful experiences for users fills me with an immense sense of accomplishment and joy.
– How do you see the future of AR evolving? What kind of opportunities do you think it will bring to creators and brands?
– I’m incredibly excited about the future of Augmented Reality and the transformative opportunities it holds for creators and brands. We are at the cusp of a technological revolution that will reshape how we interact with the world around us. I come from an industrial design background so naturally the first thing that comes to my mind it’s how AR will seamlessly integrate into our daily lives through advanced wearable devices, smart glasses, and even contact lenses. This integration will open up new avenues for creators and brands to deliver immersive and contextually relevant experiences directly to users’ visual field. AR will empower creators and brands to offer personalized and customized content like never before. Imagine a world where users can tailor their surroundings, from home décor to clothing styles, using AR filters and overlays. Let’s not forget the education field, AR will transform education and training by providing hands-on, immersive learning experiences, creating meaningful experiences for everyone involved.
– Who or what inspires you in your work, and can you describe your working process? Do you follow a plan or work spontaneously? Do you have a specific style that sets you apart from other creators?
– I draw inspiration from a variety of sources, What truly motivates and drives me are the opportunities to make a positive impact, express my creativity, create meaningful user experiences, and bring joy to people’s lives. I am deeply moved by the idea of crafting technology and experiences that cater to the needs, desires, and well-being of users. Knowing that my work has the potential to enhance people’s lives and solve real-world problems keeps me passionate and dedicated. Artistic expression is another driving force behind my work. I’m inspired by the fusion of technology and art that AR allows, enabling me to create immersive and visually captivating experiences that convey emotions, tell stories, and provoke thought. My working process is a blend of spontaneous thoughts, creative exploration and iterative refinement. It’s pretty funny because most of my ideas come when talking about design projects, suddenly I found myself saying: hey, we can add AR to that! I’m still working on defining a style, but right know it is heavily influenced by video games and scifi movies – Can you share an example of a project where you pushed the boundaries of what is possible with AR technology and what kind of impact did it have?
– There’s a project were the objective was to design a traditional Japanese tea set inspired by the Kabuto beetle, a symbol of strength and resilience in Japanese culture, and then integrate augmented reality to enhance the overall tea-drinking experience. It was challenging because at first the tea pot was supposed to act as a tracker for the experience, triggering the effect when it was shown to the lense but each tea set was handcrafted so every tea pot had slight differences that made almost imposible to initiate the AR experience. Modifications were done and the project had to go in another direction but in my free time I’m still thinking on ways to make it work as it was conceived.
– Can you list the brands you have worked with? (list links of experiences if possible) What are the project(s) you’re most proud of?
– I enjoy working with local bussines, it holds a special place in my heart.There are several reasons why I find this aspect of my work particularly rewarding. Collaborating with local businesses allows me to contribute directly to my community. It’s gratifying to know that the experiences I create can enhance the local culture, economy, and overall sense of belonging. AR experiences designed for local businesses often have a tangible impact on their operations and customer engagement. Being able to witness and measure the positive effects of my work, such as increased foot traffic or enhanced customer satisfaction, is incredibly fulfilling. Local businesses may not always have the resources for large-scale technological innovations. By bringing AR to them, I can introduce cutting-edge technology in a manageable and accessible way, sparking excitement and innovation within the local business landscape. In essence is a way for me to give back to my community, leverage technology for positive change on a smaller scale, and create immersive experiences that celebrate the uniqueness of the places and people around me. It’s an opportunity to blend innovation with familiarity, ultimately enriching the local landscape in meaningful ways, that’s the reason why I’m proud of each project I get to participate in.
– Collaboration is a crucial aspect of creating successful AR projects. Can you share an example of a project where you had to balance a client’s needs with your creative vision? How did you navigate that challenge?
– I was tasked with creating an interactive AR experience for a local dental bussiness. I began by thoroughly understanding the client’s goals and target audience. I held discussions to clarify their specific expectations and how they envisioned the AR experience fitting within the brand. It’s important to respect the client’s vision, sometimes they have strong preconceptions on the project so we have to develop the hability to communicate clearly enough for them to start up to new ideas, creating prototipes or visual resources can help. Based on the client’s feedback, I made adjustments to fine-tune the balance between their requirements and my creative vision. This involved refining the content and adjusting the level of interactivity. Open communication was key throughout the project. By actively listening to the client’s needs and sharing my creative rationale, we were able to find common ground. Regular updates, demonstrations of progress, and an iterative approach allowed us to gradually shape the AR experience to meet both their expectations and my creative goals.
– How do you stay up-to-date with the latest trends and technology in the AR industry, and how do you incorporate this knowledge into your work?
– I have a strong commitment to lifelong learning. I regularly attend workshops. These events provide insights into emerging technologies, industry trends, and best practices. I follow websites, blogs, and forums dedicated to AR and related fields. Platforms like AR-focused subreddits, industry-specific forums, and technology news websites keep me informed about the latest developments, product releases, and discussions. Engaging with fellow AR developers, designers, and experts through professional networks and social media platforms allows me to exchange ideas, share experiences, and learn from others’ successes and challenges. To incorporate new knowledge, I dedicate time to experimenting with emerging technologies and concepts. I create prototypes, test out new tools, and explore novel techniques to assess their feasibility and potential impact on my projects. I allocate time for personal projects that allow me to push the boundaries of my skills and explore unconventional ideas. These projects serve as a creative playground where I can experiment with the latest technologies without the constraints of client expectations.
– Can you share any tips or tricks you’ve learned along the way that have helped you to create successful AR projects?
– Always prioritize the user’s experience and needs. Design your AR projects with the end-user in mind, ensuring that the interactions are intuitive, engaging, and meaningful. Infuse storytelling elements into your AR experiences. Narratives and emotional connections enhance engagement and leave a lasting impact on users. Especially when you’re new to AR, begin with small, achievable projects. Build a solid foundation by mastering the basics before tackling more complex ideas. AR experiences should run smoothly on a variety of devices. Optimize your projects for performance to ensure seamless interactions and prevent lag or crashes. Understand the physical environments in which your AR experiences will be used. Factors like lighting conditions, space constraints, and user mobility can affect the design and functionality. Incorporate interactive elements to engage users and encourage exploration. Gestures, touch interactions, and voice commands can enhance the user experience. Keep thorough documentation of your code, design decisions, and processes. This not only helps you stay organized but also facilitates future updates or collaboration with other developers. Finally, the AR landscape is constantly evolving. Maintain a curious mindset, and be willing to learn and adapt as new technologies and trends emerge.
– What do you enjoy most about being an AR creator, and how do you balance the technical aspects of AR creation with the creative side? What advice would you give to aspiring AR creators who are just starting out?
– Being an AR creator is an incredibly rewarding journey that blends technology and creativity in exciting ways. What I enjoy most is the ability to bring imaginative ideas to life and see them come alive in the real world, the balance between technical aspects and creativity is where the magic happens. I view the technical and creative aspects as two sides of the same coin. They’re interconnected and mutually reinforcing. The technical foundation empowers me to execute creative visions, while creative thinking often sparks innovative technical solutions. It’s fine to get overwhelmed sometimes, at the end of the day It’s part of the process. The advice I would give to aspiring creators is to study existing AR experiences, dissect how they work, and analyze what makes them engaging. Learning from successful projects can inspire your own creations. Don’t be afraid to experiment with new tools, techniques, and concepts. The iterative process allows you to refine your skills and uncover unexpected solutions. Test your creations with real users early and often. User feedback provides insights into how your AR experience is perceived and helps you make improvements.